Thursday, November 20, 2008

Time

This is my alarm clock.

I know what you're thinking..."neat."
Don't worry, there's more to it.

I've had this alarm clock since middle school. Nothing sentimental, it just keeps on working and I keep on using it. (Plus, it has really big numbers, so it's easier to read when I wake up all booger-eyed)

Recently, I've noticed something about said clock...it's fast.
Not fast as in, "I woke up late and spent the morning springing around the house like a ninja trying to get ready on time until I get in the car and see that my bedroom clock was fast and I'm going to make it on time."

Not fast as in, "If I set this 10 minutes ahead then I will trick my brain into thinking it's later than it really is and get things done."

But fast as in, "Hey...this thing is about one-tenth of a second fast."

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. Really? That's it? That's what all the fuss is about, you ask?

Well here's the deal...I did the math.

My clock is .1 second off.
That means that for every minute, it is .1 seconds off.
That means that for every hour, it is 6 seconds off.
That means that for every day, it is 144 seconds off.
That means that for every week, it is 1008 seconds off.

1008 seconds. That's 16.8 minutes.

How did I figure this out? I set it the correct time 2 and 1/2 weeks ago.

My clock tells me it's 12:30...but it's really 11:47

What would you do if you lost 16.8 minutes of your life every week?

(probably buy a new clock)

No comments:

Post a Comment