Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Let's Talk

I've got a serious question to pose...and I need your input...

How do we feel about hard shelled tacos?
I mean, seriously, what's their deal?
They are hard to fix because they won't stand up straight.
They don't cooperate when you are trying to divulge in their succulent insides, spewing meat and lettuce and salsa everywhere.
They can only withstand one bite before the entire shell crumbles like a saltine cracker.
Their best us is to be crunched up and make a Taco Salad.
They are no match for the far superior snugness and flexibility of the soft shelled brethren.

To me, the closest comparison that I can relate this to is the flat head screwdriver.They are hard to use because they won't stay in the slot.
They don't cooperate when you are trying to use them in hard to reach places.
They can only withstand one twist, if that, before they go slipping off the screw to poke you in the eye.
Their best use is to open up paint cans and pry gum off of your shoe.
They are no match for the crisp snugness of their counterpart...the phillips.

Don't get me wrong. I love Mexican food and hand tools as much as the next guy, but something has to be done. I make a motion that we ban hard shelled tacos and flat head screwdrivers.

All in favor?

2 comments:

  1. I understand your issue with rounded bottom hard taco shells having one to many times been a victim of fallen taco innards myself. That was, of course, until one day I decided to take action. After a few short moments in my local Publix, and much to my delight, I saw my fix. Old El Paso Stand n' Stuff taco shells. They are the perfect shape in that they are able to stand by themselves as you fill their oversized inner cavity with all of the salt & cheesy goodness one could as for.

    One might ask, "Why not just give in and move on to the seemingly more efficient soft taco?" Two reasons: A)Taste and B)Consistency. Soft tacos are mostly made using an enriched and bleached flour base, which changes the taste of the yummy insides considerably. Most Mexican food connoisseurs, such as myself, find this to be unacceptable unless you are on a date/business meeting and need to keep your clothes nice and clean. Secondly, you cannot overlook the fact that crunch and texture are part of the great taco experience that all men and women should come to experience in it's purest form. There is nothing like tilting your head ever so slightly in order to get that perfect bite into a willing and expectant mouth. Kids for generations has come to love that sound of shattering corn bonds as they dive into such a tasty treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...i was just about to come on and let you know of the Stand n' Stuff...but i see you have other smart friends.

    Let me also add though of the amazingness to be found in using a hard taco AND a soft taco together I like to use some re-fried beans as a paste to keep them together. SO not only is this DELISH but it also solves your problem related to the shell breaking - as the re-fried bean and soft taco keep everything in place. it's amazing. i suggest it. taco bell even does this!

    :) hehe

    ReplyDelete