Saturday, April 12, 2008

McGee and Me

I was watching TV with my roommate today and when scrolling through the channels, it just so happened that McGee and Me was on the Trinity Broadcasting Network.
"Sweet," I said to myself. I don't make it a habit of watching TBN, but that sparked my interest, so we parked it there for awhile. My roommate had never experienced the pure genius that is McGee and Me.
"What's it about," he asked?
"Um, well there this kid and he does stuff..." I thought some more, "and he talks to a cartoon character named Magee."
"Oh," he responded. "Sounds awesome."
I brushed off his sarcasm and we watched the last few minutes of an episode called, The Big Lie. In those few minutes, we successfully witnessed a slow motion running scene, a token Native American, and the essential "Feel Good Moment" of the episode. Seeing as how the whole McGee and Me series was the video of choice in my church growing up, it took me back to the good old days of butter cookies and juice boxes. We'd always pop one of those videos in and and watch it whenever the teacher really had nothing else to teach us. Not that our teachers were lazy, but sometimes convenience wins over.

For those that don't know, here's the tagline for McGee and Me:
Welcome to the world of Nicholas, a completely normal kid who finds himself in some not-so-normal situations. Fortunately, Nicholas and his cartoon buddy, McGee, always seem to learn a valuable lesson from their adventures.
Valuable lessons...I do love those. And as far as normal goes...not so sure about how a kid that talks to an imaginary cartoon character ranks on the normal scale...I'd say not very high.

Out of curiousity, I looked around to see what the actor that played Nick in the series was up to. Here's what the McGee and Me website had to say:

The concept of Now and Then pictures make laugh...and second guess, too. So I did a little search for Joe Dammann and his Friendster profile came up the first thing...looks like he doesn't do kids' christian programming anymore, but prefers teaching his niece dirty words.

No comments:

Post a Comment