Monday, February 16, 2009

Dishes

I've always lived with people. A majority of the time with my family, but for the last 8 years with roommates (now, my wife).

One thing I learned quickly is that when you live with other people, doing the dishes is a big deal. I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand the number of times I even thought about the dishes as a kid, not because I never did them, but because they just really weren't that pertinent.

However, when you live with other people, doing the dishes becomes a hill to die on. "Whose turn it is to do the dishes" schedules will be posted. "Well, those aren't my dishes" subtle accusations will be made. Civil Wars will erupt. Piles and mounds of crusted cheese and ramen noodles will grace the edge of every plate, bowl, glass, woman and child. And there will be a stand off. Believe me, there will be showdowns as roommates go mano a mano to see who crack first and break out the dish detergent. A simple trip into the kitchen will turn into a mind game as you go to deposit your dirty dish. Because what you are looking at is no longer a kitchen sink, but now a game of tetris as you calculate your move to sliding your dish into the pile at just the right angle so as not to disturb the ancient ruins.

All of this will climax until the mother of all situations happens...


...One of the roommates gets a girlfriend and she ends up doing the dishes because they are making her gag.

Is it pretty? No. But it's part of life. A part of life you can learn many lessons from. A part of life I'm still learning lessons from...

1. Rinse your dishes off before putting them in the dishwasher
2. Always put your dishes in the dishwasher after using them
3. Don't let your dishes tear your house apart...because then the dishes win
Align Center
Like I said, I'm still learning...

Just last evening, I quickly placed my plate in the sink and walked back into the living room to finishing washing a TV episode. My wife walks into the room and coughs a little, then states, "You know...the dishwasher is empty..." That's all she said. No directions, nothing else. Just like that, a jab to the side. And so it begins again.

I've got a feeling though, that I might not win this showdown.

3 comments:

  1. Meal plan 4 years. Did my dishes. Married almost 4 years, occasionally do the dishes. Wife pregnant, always do the dishes. Post made me chuckle man, hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And so it begins... Remember when I told Joe his mother called and said (in a high pitched voice) "Joseph Pinson you get in there and do your dishes" Yep... Dishes! Don't let them win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. grow a scrotum...Chelsea does the dishes as should your wife...color me unimpressed

    ReplyDelete