Thursday, February 19, 2009

Armbands

It's DNow Weekend. It's become a custom to buy armbands for the students as a little memento of the weekend. (as made famous by the Livestrong bracelets) It usually has a slogan or main theme to serve as a reminder of what was learned/taught/discussed throughout it all. (This year's theme is KNOWN: Knowing God, Making God Known) The bands also serve the double purpose of helping divide the students up into varying teams for our recreation time, as it is easy to forget which team you are on when there are 300 kids running around.

For the past three years, I've ordered from the company Reminderband. They've done incredibly well in their service and I've yet to be disappointed. In fact, earlier this week I was tracking the FedEx number. Monday morning at 11am it shipped out of Hong Kong. Tuesday morning at 10am it arrived in Anchorage, AL. Wednesday morning by 10:30am there was a FedEx guy knocking on my door, asking me to sign for a package...that's what I'm talking about.

I digress...

Last year, one of the students from the other churches came up to inform me that their bracelet did not say "Mythbusters" like it was supposed to.
"Brody, I don't believe I got the right armband."
"Oh yea," I respond?
"Yeah...mine says, 'In Memory of Victor Garcia'"
"You're right...that's not the right armband."
The best part about that story is that the student that came up to tell me that was from a hispanic church...in the words of their youth minister, "our church would get that one."

This year as I was dividing out all of the bands, I came across another anomaly.
"Ali & Ryan's Wedding 2009"
Somewhere in the world, hopefully, there is a bridesmaid or groomsman that is figuring out what it means to be "Known" by God.

2 comments:

  1. http://registry.weddingchannel.com/coupledir/20091/K/R307910919/ALI_KEEGAN_AND_RYAN_LEIGHTON.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this too...http://bangornews.com/detail/51154.html

    ReplyDelete