Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Dips

I think my favorite part of Christmas is all of the parties that you get to attend and eat finger foods...aka dinner for that night. There is something so enticing about satisfying your hunger without spoon or fork...only toothpicks.


There are Sausage balls and Pigs in a Blanket and Crackers out the wahzoo.
And, oh the dips. I do love the dips.

Spinach dip. Cheese dip. Crab dip. Shrimp dip. Guacamole dip. Sour Cream dip. Lobster dip. Chili dip. Salsa dip. 7 Layer dip...shall I go on?

My party strategy looks like this:
Stay away from the nuts...who knows how many fingers have touched those nuts.
Stay away from the sweets for the most part...allows more room for the dips.
Always keep your toothpicks...you never know when you might need to ward off the occasional finger food snatcher or the inevitable spinach debris.
Find a chair close to the snack table...it allows for easier access to seconds and thirds.
Look for larger plates...they'll always try to shaft you with the coaster sized ones. Go in the kitchen cabinets if you have to.

Good luck this Christmas season...happy dipping.

Here's My Top 10 Christmas Party Finger Foods.
  1. Sausage Balls (more sausage than ball, though)
  2. Pigs in a blanket (usually 5 or 6 at a time)
  3. 7 Layer Dip (I can't tell you all 7 layers, but I can tell you that it creates a party in my mouth)
  4. Tortilla Pin Wheels (you know...they are like miniature pitas with cream cheese)
  5. Meatballs (what a gross name for a food...but so literal...and so yummy)
  6. Cream Cheese Dip with Salsa (the pink color adds a nice eclectic feel to the food table)
  7. Shrimp Cocktail (I literally have vivid visions of my dad wrapping shrimp up in a napkin and stuff them in his pocket as we left parties as a kid...I do the same thing...thanks dad)
  8. Potato Skins with Cheese and Bacon (especially with sea salt crusted on the skin...gotta follow it up with sour cream though or otherwise you'll get dried up quickly)
  9. Celery with Ranch Dressing (this is my healthy snack)
  10. Cheese ball with Club Crackers (It looks more like a ball of play-dough that has been rolled in a dust pile...but you can never have too many club crackers)
Did I miss any?

2 comments:

  1. who knew that our meat parties consisting of sausage balls & piggies were so high on the list.. i wish we had known about the "christmas" feeling it brought you, we could've spiced it up a little....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so pleased to see that sausage balls and pigs in a blanket are at the top of the list. it brought joy to my heart while memories raced through my head (wow, that was really dramatic sounding...)
    Yay for Meat Parties and yay for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete