Monday, May 12, 2008

Going Postal

The other day I was browsing in a local pawn shop when the bell indicating someone else had entered the store rang out. Usually, I wouldn't take too careful notice of who else was shopping with me, however this one caught my attention quickly.

It was a postal worker, decked out in full USPS attire (light blue shirt, dark blue shorts, black kicks). He walked straight to the back of the store, bypassing all electronics and collectibles, ending up in the gun section. I'm not opposed to guns, but somewhere along my childhood, the thought of mixing postal workers and weapons left a bad taste in my mouth.

You've heard of the concept, going postal, right? I shifted my whereabouts to something a little more protected (behind a shelf of DVDs) and I peered through the cracks to see what he was indeed doing. Turns out, he was carousing back and forth and looking at the different rifles on display. So I thought to myself..."this is so literal, it's ridiculous."

My father is a postal worker, so I know what they are capable of. So in my best interest, I decided that I didn't want to stick around to see if he bought a gun. I was better off far, far away. I put my selections back on the shelf and slipped out the front door.

I smile and wave at my postal worker more now...even when he puts my mail in the wrong box.

In related news, the cost of a stamp went up to $.42 today. I think I'm going to call my dad and chastise him for this absurd scalping of the American people.

1 comment:

  1. let your dad know too (as he represents the entire postal network) that I would much rather in crease stamps by a dollar every 10 years than to go up by ONE cent every 5 months...i mean lets think about the printing costs of having to by 1 cent stamps now...haha grrr. :) miss you, friend!!!

    ReplyDelete